You can never have too many USB ports, right? By the time you’ve plugged in your mouse and keyboard, there’s little or no room for devices such as external hard drives and flash drives.
That’s not even mentioning your mobile, tablet and camera that all need charging, too. Very quickly the USB ports on your computer become saturated and you’re left juggling devices.
A USB hub turns one USB port into several, simply by plugging the unit into an existing USB port on your PC or laptop. With technology advancing so quickly, you would be well advised to invest in the latest USB 3.0 hubs as previous versions soon become obsolete.
USB 3.0 hubs offer faster data transfer, up to an astonishing 5Gbit/s (compared to the 480Mbits/s of USB 2.0 hubs); more power available per port – up to 900mA; and better power management, as power is only delivered to the port when it is needed. So, which is the best USB 3.0 hub?
In no particular order, here are our top 5 to help you choose the right one for your home or office.
Our 5 Best USB 3.0 Hubs
5. Anker 4-Port Compact Aluminium USB 3.0 Hub
- 4 x USB 3.0 ports – faster data transfer for up to 4 devices
- USB-powered – no mains supply needed
- Compact design ideal for carrying around with your laptop
- Solid aluminium body – sleek and durable
- Velcro fixings – one-handed plugging
- 18-month warranty
If you need more USB ports on the move, then this is the perfect choice. 4 USB 3.0 ports are powered through the 2ft USB cable to your laptop, with no need for an additional power source. As the Anker is charged via the USB port, this model is suitable for devices which do not require a higher power output, ideal for flash drives.
With its solid, black aluminium body and rounded corners, this is a stylish accessory. The compact hub (measuring a slender 85 x 45 x 27mm and weighing only 98g) will easily slip into a laptop bag and there’s no need to worry about scratches with its tough exterior.
When you’re back at home or the office, the Velcro strip allows the USB extension hub to be fixed into place, making plugging and unplugging easy – also made more intuitive by the slanted design. This product from Anker comes with an 18-month warranty.
4. TP-LINK UH720
- 7 x USB 3.0 ports – fast USB connections for up to 7 devices
- 2 x 2.4A ports – fast charging for up to 2 USB-enabled devices
- Mains-powered – more power available for connected devices
- Ports located around the sides to reduce overcrowding
- LED indicators shows your devices are connected correctly
- Multiple protection features helps prevent damage to connected devices
- 2-year warranty
The TP-Link has a total of 7 USB 3.0 ports. However, it doesn’t stop there: in addition to the USB 3.0 ports, there are 2 dedicated charging ports. Leaving all 7 USB 3.0 ports available for data transfers, the 2.4A charging ports provide faster charging for your iOS and android mobile devices. This model comes complete with a mains power adapter and 1m USB 3.0 cable.
Allowing you to plug in your devices without overcrowding, the USB 3.0 ports are spaced horizontally down one of the 16.5cm sides. The charging ports are conveniently located at one end of the black TP-Link USB charging hub.
A white LED indicates that the hub is powered, while individual lights on the USB 3.0 ports show whether devices are connected properly. To help prevent damage to connected devices, the UH720 features protection against over-heating, short circuits, over-voltage and over-current. The TP-LINK UH720 USB 3.0 Hub is supplied with a 2-year warranty.
3. Anker 60W 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports
- 7 x USB 3.0 ports – up to 5Gbits/s data transfer for 7 devices
- 3 x PowerIQ charging ports – efficient charging for up to 3 devices at the same time
- External power source – fewer operational issues
- Compact design – saves desk space
- Surge protector – keeps your devices and data safe from power surges and spikes
- 18-month warranty
Featuring 7 USB 3.0 ports plus 3 charging ports, this USB charging hub can support up to 10 devices. Using exclusive PowerIQ technology, the charging ports deliver up to 2.1A each and ensure that your connected device is charged efficiently. The hub is supplied with a mains adapter and USB 3.0 cable.
This sleek, black design measures 14.5x 4.4 x 2.2cm. All of the ports are located on the top surface of the hub with the 3 PowerIQ ports at one end, saving precious desk space. For added peace of mind, the Anker 60W has a built-in surge protector and comes with an 18-month warranty.
2. Anker 9-Port USB 3.0 Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port
- 9 x USB 3.0 ports – SuperSpeed USB for up to 9 devices
- 2.1A Smart Charging Port – charge devices quickly
- Powered from the mains – allows multiple devices to work simultaneously
- Black surface with white edging for a stylish design
- 18-month warranty
If data transfer is your main requirement, then this USB extension hub is a good option. 9 USB 3.0 ports allow multiple devices to be connected, while there is still the facility to charge your mobile or iPad quickly through a dedicated charging port. This model comes with a power adapter and USB 3.0 cable.
With its black surface, white edging and rounded corners, this is a stylish-looking model. All of the ports are lined along the top of the hub, with the charging port conveniently placed at the end. The Anker comes with an 18-month warranty.
1. Anker Aluminium 13-Port USB 3.0 Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port | AH241
- 13 x USB 3.0 ports – Up to 5Gbits/s data transfer for 13 devices
- 1A Smart Charging Port – fast charging for your mobile or tablet
- External power source – supports devices requiring a higher power output
- Aluminium body – tough design resists bumps and scratches
- 18-month warranty
Never run out of USB ports again, with the Anker AH241. Featuring an impressive 13 USB 3.0 ports, if you have a vast collection of devices, this is the best USB 3.0 hub. Offering fast charging for a range of USB-enabled devices, the AH241 even has a Smart Charging Port. This model is supplied with a mains power adapter and USB 3.0 cable.
Made from durable aluminium, the black body of the hub is designed to withstand wear and tear. The 14 ports are located along the top surface of the hub, with the charging port being conveniently positioned at the end of the row.
All USB 3.0 ports have an individual blue LED to indicate when data is being transferred. The Anker AH241 USB extension hub comes with an 18-month warranty.