As laptops continue to get smaller, the problem of overheating gets bigger. The complex CPU that is the brains of your computer emits vast quantities of heat, however, the demand for light, portable devices means that there is less space for air to circulate than ever before.
In addition to feeling uncomfortably hot to the touch, overheating may cause hardware failure and significantly reduce the life expectancy of your laptop. Computers which overheat are often slow to respond, prone to errors, randomly shut down and have fans that are constantly whirring.
Laptop cooling stands help to reduce the risk of your device overheating. They also afford greater flexibility at work or play, as the raised platform allows you to use your laptop on a range of surfaces (yes, you can actually use the laptop on your lap!) without blocking airflow to the vents.
The best laptop coolers have integrated fans to further promote the circulation of cool air, powered by your computer via a USB connection. Here is a rundown of some of the best laptop cooling stands out there today.
Our 5 Best Laptop Cooling Stands and Pads
5. Targus Ultraslim Chill Mat | AWE69EU
- Slimline design that easily slips into a laptop bag
- Plastic lightweight construction for easy carrying around with your laptop
- Single power efficient fan
- USB-powered so no need for a separate power supply
- Fits laptops up to 16”
True to its name, the Ultraslim has a depth of just 2.5cm. This paired with the lightweight plastic construction makes the Ultraslim highly portable, easily slipping into most laptop bags. The sleek, black design accommodates laptops up to 16 inches. The Targus Chill Mat features a single fan – to activate cooling simply plug the connector into a USB port on your laptop.
4. TeckNet 6-Fan Laptop Cooling Stand
- 6 fans for efficient air cooling
- Less than 23dB making it extremely quiet, so no noisy distractions
- Metal mesh construction provides a sturdy design that also dissipates heat
- 5 adjustable heights and angles for the ultimate comfort when working or playing
- 2-port USB 2.0 hub that powers the stand plus an additional device
- Suitable for laptops up to 15.6”
With its black, polished metal mesh surface and blue LED lights, this laptop cooler pad certainly looks the part. The sturdy metal platform can be locked into a total of 5 different heights and angles, providing a stable surface for the laptop in a position that is comfortable for you.
Even with this versatility, the TeckNet still folds completely flat (the ledge to keep the laptop in place tucks away neatly, too) to a depth of 29mm. This laptop cooling stand will easily accommodate laptops up to at least 15.6”.
Working in two ways to keep your laptop cool, this stand is highly efficient: Six fans—each measuring 80mm— spin silently (less than 23dB) to circulate over 90 cubic feet of air per minute, while the metal mesh surface helps to conduct heat away from the device.
The TeckNet 6-Fan Laptop Cooling Stand also features a 2-port USB 2.0 hub, allowing an extra device to be plugged into a USB port at the same time as powering the stand from your laptop. A clever design and abundance of features have earned the TeckNet its place in the top 5 best laptop cooling stands.
3. Kensington SmartFit Laptop Cooling Stand
- Fabric backing provides comfort on your lap and protects surfaces from scratches
- 4 stability pads that keeps the laptop in place while you work or play
- Retractable leg allows stand to be tilted for ease of viewing or typing
- Dual fans for better air circulation
- USB-powered which means no mains supply required
- Fits laptops up to 15.6”
Providing many features for your comfort, the Kensington has very much been designed with the user in mind: The fabric backing offers a soft feel if using the device on your lap, also protecting work surfaces from scratches; 4 rubber pads on the black surface help to keep your laptop from sliding around on the stand; and there is also a retractable leg which enables you to tilt the stand upwards, for a better viewing angle. This laptop cooling stand is suitable for laptops up to 15.6 inches.
The Kensington houses dual cooling fans to efficiently circulate air around the laptop and comes complete with a cable – which neatly tucks away under the stand when not in use – that plugs into the USB port of your laptop for power.
2. Targus Dual-Fan Laptop Cooling Stand | AWE55EU
- 2 x 1900 RPM fans provides powerful cooling
- Open design allows for quieter fan operation and more efficient airflow
- Neoprene covering soft touch provides comfort on your lap
- Ergonomic for a comfortable typing position
- Rubber grips that hold your laptop securely in place
- Suitable for laptops from 15–17”
With its soft, black neoprene covering, the Targus Laptop Cooling Pad is ideal when you’re working on your lap or a delicate surface. The ergonomic design tilts the laptop into a more comfortable position for typing, while the 4 rubber grips keep your device firmly in place. This model is for use with laptops from 15-17 inches.
The open design of this Targus means that the 2 powerful fans – turning at an impressive 1900 RPM – run quietly and produce a constant flow of air through the stand. With no need for a separate power source, the stand plugs into a USB port on your laptop.
1. Targus Chill Mat Laptop Cooling Stand with 4 USB Ports | AWE81EU
- Dual fans run at 2500 RPM, providing highly efficient air cooling
- Durable plastic that’s hard-wearing and ideal for carrying around
- Slimline so it slips easily into a laptop case
- 4 height settings for optimum comfort while working or playing
- 4-port USB 2.0 hub to power the cooler and plug in multiple devices simultaneously
- Designed for laptops up to 17”
At a slim 2.5cm and made from durable black and grey plastic, the Targus Chill Mat is ideal for carrying around in your laptop case. Adapting to your needs, the stand can be adjusted to 4 different height settings – up to 4 inches – while the bottom ledge ensures that your laptop remains secure. This laptop cooling stand is designed for laptops up to 17 inches.
With 2 fans running at an incredible 2500 RPM, it’s no wonder that this model has earned itself the name of the Chill Mat. Offering a 4-port USB 2.0 hub, this compact platform enables you to power a range of peripherals from your laptop. This is certainly the best laptop cooler if you need portable workstation.