From computers and televisions to gaming consoles and microwaves, the modern home is full of expensive electrical equipment. Advances in technology mean that these devices and appliances now comprise even smaller – and consequently more sensitive – components.
Lightning strikes, malfunctions on the National Grid and power outages can cause surges or shorter spikes, all of which leave your electrical equipment vulnerable to damage. This sudden increase in voltage has the potential to instantly burn out components.
If your appliances and devices do survive the power surge or spike they may still have developed a weakness in the system, ultimately reducing their reliability and life.
What is a Surge Protector?
A surge protector is a device that plugs into a mains socket, providing additional power outlets for your electrical equipment. However, unlike standard power strips, a surge protector has a built in protective component. If the voltage exceeds the safe threshold during a power surge or spike, the energy is diverted to the protective component instead of passing through your valuable electrical equipment.
Surge protectors are rated in Joules (a unit we measure energy in); the best power surge protectors can absorb a large amount of electrical energy and, therefore, have the highest rating in Joules. Other considerations are cable length, indicators, warranty and design. In this article, we help you to choose the best power surge protector for your home.
Our 3 Best Surge Protectors Reviewed
3. Belkin E-Series SurgeStrip
- Up to 476 Joule rating—offers basic protection
- Available in 4 and 6-socket options—protect up to 6 electrical devices
- 1m or 3m heavy-duty cable
- Lifetime warranty
The Belkin E-Series SurgeStrip offers basic protection against power surges and spikes. Suitable for entry-level computers and peripherals, the SurgeStrip provides affordable protection.
Products in this series are rated from 238 Joules to 476 Joules, grounding AC power with 3-line protection. All models come with a lifetime warranty.
Available in a 4 and 6-socket option, the unit is encased in white, hard plastic. Power is delivered through a 1m or 3m heavy-duty cable.
All models for the Belkin E-Series SurgeStrips:
- E-Series 6 socket 3m SurgeStrip
- E-Series 4 socket 3m SurgeStrip
- E-Series 6 socket 1m SurgeStrip
- E-Series 4 socket 1m SurgeStrip
2. Masterplug SRGDU Series
- 2 USB charger outputs – recharge mobiles and other compatible devices
- LED indicators – reassurance that your equipment is protected
- Wall-mountable – space-saving design
- Available in a choice of finishes to complement any décor
- Surge warranty for peace of mind
With its ‘state of the art’ technology, the Masterplug Power Block offers a range of useful features in addition to superior surge protection. This surge protector with USB charger outputs, allows up to 2 devices to be plugged in at the same time – ideal for recharging mobiles, iPods and digital cameras.
For added peace of mind, the unit has LED indicators to show when the unit is on and when surge protection is active. Masterplug’s space-saving design can also be wall-mounted or will sit perfectly on a flat surface, even when all sockets are occupied. The Power Block also comes fitted with a 1m extension lead.
While Masterplug do not advertise their Joule rating, they do offer an impressive surge warranty to show their confidence in the product: if damage is sustained as a result of a power surge, within 3 years of purchase, Masterplug will pay towards repairing or replacing the affected equipment.
Available in a compact 4 or 6-socket option, the Power Block also comes in 3 finishes: black, polished black and polished white; matching any interior.
All models for the Masterplug SRGDU Series Power Surge Protectors:
- Masterplug 4-Socket Surge Protected Block with 2 x USB Charging Ports | SRGDU41PB2 (black or white)
- Masterplug 6-Socket Surge Protected Block with 2 x USB Charging Ports | SRGDU61PB2 (black or white)
1. Belkin BSV Series
- Feature 2, 2.4A USB charging—40% faster charging
- Energy rating up to 900 Joules—offers exceptional protection
- Indicator lights show when connected equipment is protected
- Protect up to 8 electrical devices
- Connected equipment warranty of up to £60,000
The Belkin BSV series incorporates a diverse range of power surge protectors with options for USB charging ports. Some of the models feature 2 x 2.4A USB charging outlets; perfect for recharging your portable devices, these offer 40% faster charging than conventional USB ports.
The energy rating of models ranges from 306–900 Joules and Belkin offer a connected equipment warranty of up to £60,000, in the case of their 8-socket Surge Protection Strip.
Included in the series are 2 surge protector plugs. Ideal for smaller electrical equipment, these simply plug into the AC power outlet on the wall – ideal if you do not require an extension lead.
The single-socket option is perfect for a laptop while the travel surge protector plug has 2 sockets and features a wall plug that folds away, for convenience on the move. Both models display a green light to show that equipment is protected.
Where you need to plug in multiple electrical appliances and devices, Surge Protection Strips offer from 4 to 8 sockets. These products also come with a 2 metre cord, making it easier to access from a variety of electronics.
In addition to the green indicator showing that connected equipment is protected, the Surge Protection Strips have a light to warn you if there is a ground fault with the AC power outlet itself. Continuing the safety features, the power strips have protected outlets to reduce the risk of children harming themselves.
There is also a large switch, enabling you to turn all the connected equipment on and off without having to reach the wall outlet; this is recessed to help avoid accidental switching.
All models for the Belkin BSV Series Power Surge Protectors:
- Belkin SurgeCube 1 Outlet Surge Protector | BSV103AF
- Belkin SurgeCube 1 Outlet Surge Protector with 2 x USB Chargers | BSV103AF
- Belkin 2-Way Multi-Plug Travel Surge Protector | BST200AF
- Belkin 4-Outlet Surge Protection Strip | BSV400AF2M
- Belkin 4-Outlet Surge Protection Strip with 2 x USB Chargers | BSV401AF2M
- Belkin 6-Outlet Surge Protection Strip | BSV603AF2M
- Belkin 6-Outlet Surge Protection Strip with 2 x USB Chargers | BSV604AF2M
- Belkin 8-Outlet Surge Protection Strip with 2 x USB Chargers | BSV804AF2M